view of Ally Pally from Glasslyn Rd

Useful Information



Emergency calls                            999

This phone number should be used to contact police in situations where a crime is happening now or if anyone is in immediate danger

Non – Emergency calls                   101

24/7 Police Station:- Tottenham Police Station
                                     398 High Road, Tottenham.  N17 9JA

Nearest Police Station:– Hornsey Police Station
(Now Closed)                     98 Tottenham Lane, Hornsey. N8 7EJ

Crimestoppers                               0800 555 111   

If you have information which could help solve a crime you can call anonymously

Terrorist activity                            0800 789 321

Please call the this anti- terrorist hotline if you have any information on terrorist activity

Crouch End Ward Safer Neighbourhoods Team

Telephone: 020 8649 3515

Note: Safer Neighbourhoods Team members are subject to change, details can be found on the Met Police website. Phone calls and emails to the Safer Neighbourhoods Team will not initiate an immediate police response.  Please contact your Safer Neighbourhoods Team to discuss local crime and community safety issues.  In an emergency dial 999, non emergency dial 101.

Crouch End Police @MPSCrouchEnd
Crouch End Neighbourhood Police Team in @MPSHaringey. Do not report crime here. Call 101. Tweet @MetCC or Report On-Line. In an emergency call 999

Reporting crime online

The following crimes can be reported online providing an urgent police response is not required

  • Criminal damage 
  • Theft from a motor vehicle
  • Criminal damage to a motor vehicle
  • Hate crimes and hate incidents
  • Theft

Note: You cannot report the following crimes online:

Robbery  (where you or the person you are reporting for was subjected to violence or the threat of violence)
Burglary  (where a building has been broken into)


If you smell gas or are worried about gas safety you can call the National Gas Emergency Number on 0800 111 999


For power interruptions call UK Power Networks free on 105 (mobiles) or 0800 31 63 105 or text the word ‘Power’ followed by your post code to 80876
for automatic text up-dates, add your mobile phone details at:-


If you are experiencing an unexpected loss of supply or any other problem involving water, call Thames Water on 0845 9200 800 or report water leaks to Thames Water on 0800 714 614

Haringey Council

020 8489 1000 (open Mon to Fri 9.00am to 5pm)
020 8489 0000 (emergency)

Customer Services for all of the following please call –    0208 489 1000      
  Abandoned vehicles    
Anti-Social Behaviour team
Environmental Health
Food Hygiene 
Homelessness & housing advice
Housing and Council tax
Parking and enforcement
Pest control
Roads/pavement maintenance
Parks Department  020 8489 1000  or email

Noise Nuisance 020 8489 1335 (office hours) or (out of hours) 020 8489 0000
Planning Office  020 8489 1478
Rubbish and Recycling  020 8885 7700
Graffiti and flyposting  020 8885 7700
Safe and sound community alarms  020 8489 2365
Trading Standards  020 8489 5134
Lightline (report defective street lighting)  0500 236 458
Car pound/towed vehicles  020 8888 3322
Homes for Haringey  020 8489 5611

More details on the Haringey’s “Report a Problem” scheme, Rubbish and Recycling, Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) and Noise Nuisance, can be found further down this page.



Crouch End Safer Neighbourhoods Local Police

Unless a 999 call is appropriate, crime reports should be made by calling 101. 

The Crouch End Safer Neighbourhoods Team picks up information about these reports but is also interested in matters of concern to residents and can be contacted on 020 8649 3515 or by email to (emails must be sent without subject headings or attachments). We email their newsletters to GMTRA members.

In recent years break-ins have taken place through front doors of houses when only a Yale lock has been in operation overnight – use of a mortise lock is advised.

Little Book of Big Scams

The Metropolitan Police Service’s Operation Sterling Team has written a general guide to the vast array of scams currently  being operated in the UK. It is called  the Little Book of BIG Scams and lists many of the scams and some easy steps for protection against them.


Haringey Council Services.

Pay it, Report it or Apply for it – many Haringey Council services such as parking permits/renewals and council tax, reporting concerns like noise and graffiti or applying for planning permission and school places can now be carried out on line at saving you time and inconvenience.

Haringey Council Report a problem

To report a problem with:

  • Potholes
  • Pavements
  • Refuse collection
  • Graffiti
  • Fly-tipping

and a broad range of other issues, see Haringey Council’s Report It” page at:

The Council has advised that all reported potholes will be investigated within two working days, with most repaired within seven, while dangerous potholes will be repaired within 24 hours of being investigated. The pothole intervention threshold – the depth holes have to reach before repairs are carried out – has been halved and is now 25mm in main roads and 30mm in residential streets.

To Report potholes:
Telephone hotline:   020 8489 1335

NB. Reports should include specific details of the pothole’s location

Haringey “Report a Problem” App

GMTRA would like to encourage residents to use the free Our Haringey app for smartphones. The following information about the app is taken from the Council website:_

The Our Haringey app is part of the Love Clean Streets network and makes it quick and easy to report problems when you are out and about in the borough.
Once you download the app you can take a photo of the problem, and send it directly to the team  responsible for fixing it. We will then send you progress updates and let  you know when it’s fixed.
Unlike other ‘report it’ style apps,  Love Clean Streets asks you to choose from a list of Haringey-specific categories for the problem, which ensures the report goes to the right team first time and will be dealt with as quickly as possible.
Love Clean Streets allows reports to be made under the following categories:

  • Damaged street furniture Love Clean streets reporting on mobile
  • Dead animals
  • Dog fouling
  • Drains and gullies
  • Fly posting
  • Graffiti
  • Lighting, lit signs and lit bollards
  • Litter and street cleaning
  • Manhole covers
  • Overgrown hedges and shrubs
  • Paths and pavements
  • Potholes
  • Recycling
  • Road marking
  • Road defects
  • Dumped rubbish
  • Signs
  • Trees

If there are other problems you would like to report, or you don’t want to use your mobile phone or tablet, you can use our ‘Report It’ page .

Download the app

The app is available on iPhone and Android phones:

Love Clean Streets is free to download. If you exceed your data limit you may incur a cost for sending reports.

Refuse and recycling

In most cases, households are supplied with black and green wheelie bins, and two plastic containers for food waste.
An ‘opt-in’ subscription service provides either an additional wheeled bin or a supply of biodegradable sacks for garden waste collection (see below for more details)

If you do not have any of these items, would like a different size wheelie bin or wish to subscribe to the garden waste scheme, please call the Veolia Contact Centre on 020 8885 7700 (opening hours Monday to Friday    8.30am to 5.30pm) or email

Refuse and Recycling are collected on respective Tuesdays in accordance with the calendar below
On specified collection days, the applicable wheelie bins, food waste bin and garden waste sacks should be put by your front gate by 6am ready for emptying.

  • Black wheelie bins are to be used for non-recyclable and non-compostable waste, and are collected every other week. All non-recyclable rubbish must be contained within the black wheelie bin The lid must be closed so that no waste is visible.
  • Green wheelie bins are collected every week and are only to be used for dry recycling material, including paper and cardboard, glass bottles and jars, food tins, drink cans and aerosols, clean foil drink cartons (e.g. Tetra Packs), plastic carrier bags, all plastic bottles, tubs, plastic containers and food trays (a full list of recyclable material can be found on the Haringey website – Please wash containers before recycling them. Please do not put your recycling in black sacks.
  • Food waste containers are to be used for all uncooked and cooked food including fruit, vegetables, meat, fish and bones, rice, pasta, bread, tea bags, coffee grounds, cheese, dairy products and eggs and plate scrapings. The smaller black caddy is for use in the kitchen and when full the contents should be emptied into the larger green outdoor food waste bin container which should be to be left out to be emptied each week. Any bags used to contain food waste must be compostable – food waste contained within NORMAL plastic bags will not be collected.
  • Garden waste. From 23 October 2017 this is an ‘opt-in’  chargeable service. For £75 a year you will get your own 240 litre wheeled bin for garden waste, with weekly collections. Alternatively, for £55 per year you can have a smaller 140 litre bin or a supply of 60 biodegradable sacks. The bins and sacks are for grass cuttings, hedge clippings, leaves and pruning and also small branches and flowers, and are collected every week. You are not allowed to place any additional garden waste  beside your bin. A new subscription is required every year (1st April) to use this service.

Collection day is Tuesday
All Recycling is collected every week.
Your non-recyclable waste is collected every other week.

Bulky Items Collection Service

Your standard weekly refuse collection service is suitable for most non-recyclable waste that you will need to put out, but some larger items will need to be collected separately. You can book special collections for bulky items through the council’s contractor Veolia. For a fee of £20 they will collect up to 4 bulky items, such as furniture, mattresses, washing machines etc., from your home. Additional items will be charged at £10 per item.
All collections are booked through the Veolia Haringey Contact Centre:
Tel: 020 8885 7700
Web: Special collections query form (external link)

What they collect

When you make contact to book a collection, you will be asked some questions to help establish whether the items you need to dispose of can be collected.

See conditions and exclusions, listed below.

Reuse and Recycling Centre

A wide range of items can be taken to the Western Road Reuse and Recycling Centre, which are located in Wood Green.

The Reuse and Recycling Centre in Western Road, Wood Green N22 (open daily until 4.15 pm) takes furniture, fridges and freezers, electrical items, scrap metal, wood, hardcore and rubble, household and car batteries, used engine oil, mobile phones, printer cartridges, textiles and shoes, plastic bottles, cardboard, paper, telephone directories, glass bottles and jars and food and drink cans.

More information, showing the location of the centre, can be found on the Haringey Council web site.

Conditions and exclusions

As a general rule, anything that you might take with you when moving home can be collected. We make every effort to reuse or recycle as many items as possible.

What will not be collected:

  • · Rubble
  • · Masonry and tiles
  • · Construction waste
  • · Waste from house renovations.
  • – Garden sheds and trellis
  • – Carpets and rugs that are not contained within a tied bag
  • – Tyres
  • – Gas bottles and cylinders
  • – Car batteries
  • – Tree trunks and thick branches
  • – Pianos (unless broken up)

The service can be provided only to those homes that have a front garden area where large and bulky items can be placed out of harms way to those walking along pavements.

Leaving items on the pavement is not permitted in any circumstances because this poses risks to passers by.

Any hazardous waste, like chemicals or asbestos cannot be collected. For more information on the safe disposal of these materials, please visit the hazardous waste page.

Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ)

Residents with vehicles parked in the street will need to use the designated parking bays and display a valid parking permit between 2pm and 4pm on weekdays. Permits are available to cover resident’s vehicles and visitor’s vehicles Further details in respect to cost and how to apply for permits can be found at


How to report noise
You can use our online form to report noise. However, please note that our officer finishes duty at 3am each morning (4am on Friday and Saturday nights) and does  not return to duty until 9am (8am on Saturday and Sunday).  However you can report noise to us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week online  using the form below or by telephone. If there is no officer on duty the complaint will be picked up after an officer returns to duty. If you do not receive a response to a ‘noise on now’ complaint registered through the website we recommend you call 020 8489 0000 and the call centre  staff will have up-to-date information on officer availability.

Report a noise problem online

Contact telephone numbers to report a noise
Office Hours:
Monday to Friday: 9am-5pm, Tel 020 8489 1335
Outside Office Hours:
Weekdays – Monday to Friday 5pm-9am, Tel 020 8489 0000
Weekends – Friday 5pm to Monday 9am, Tel 020 8489 0000

Please note: we no longer offer a 24 hour response service.

If there is an officer on duty then we undertake to call you back within  30 minutes. During exceptionally busy times the response can be delayed. You will be advised when you call if there isn’t an officer on duty to  respond immediately to your call, but all calls will be logged.

Other Local Services and Amenities.

News agent  

RR News, 21 Park Road, delivers papers.
020 8340 2534


Bishop & Sons Ltd , 9 Park Road,
020 8348 0149


Hornsey Library, Haringey Park, Crouch End, 020 8489 1118

Open Monday-Friday 9.00am-7.00pm,
Saturday 9.00am-5.00pm   Sundays 12 noon – 4.00pm.

Nearby doctors

Crouch Hall Road Surgery,
48 Crouch Hall Road.
08444 778551

Park Road Surgery
53 Park Road N8 8JJ.
020 8340 7940

Vale Practice, Clocktower Medical Centre, 50-66 Park Road.   
020 8347 3330

The Queenswood Practice and Crouch End Health Centre,  (Monday-Friday 8am-8pm)
151 Park Road.
0203 074 2402

Highgate Wood School  (Secondary)
Montenotte Road.
020 8342 7970

Bright Horizons Active Learning Crouch End (Nursery)
(for children from 3 months to 5 years)
Hornsey Cricket Club, Tivioli Road, N8 8RG
0333 920 0531


Dragon Clinic, 496 Hornsey Road N19.
020 7272 3354

Hill’s Surgery, 178 Park Road N8.
020 0340 5453

Russell Hatton, 351 Archway Road N6.
020 8341 4888

Zasman, 14 Priory Road N8.
020 8347 5200


Park Theatre Cafe Bar
Clifton Terrace, Finsbury Park, N4 3JP
Book on-line
020 7870 6876


Art House Crouch End.
159A Tottenham Lane, N8 9BT
020 8245 3099

Picture House Crouch End
165 Tottenham Lane N8 9BY
0871 902 5758

Park Road Leisure Centre (splash) – Fusion Lifestyle

Park Road.
020 8341 3567

The Leisure Centre has been recently modernised (2014/2015) and includes indoor swimming and diving pools, a children’s pool, an outdoor pool (the lido, which is now open all year), a dance/exercise studio, a newly equipped gymnasium, and  a therapy room.

Local Sports Facilities

The playing fields bounded by Glasslyn Road, Park Road, Cranley Gardens and Wood Vale contain the following sports clubs: Calthorpe Cricket Club, Ferme Park Cricket Club, Highgate Cricket and Lawn Tennis Club, Hornsey Club (via Tivoli Road), North London Cricket Club, Hanley Tennis Club and Georgian Tennis Club.

Crouch End Open Space (CREOS)

Crouch End Open Space is the name given to the group of sports fields and associated areas of informal open space (entered at the end of Montenotte Road). In addition to the playing fields there is an ecologically rich area that supports, scrub, secondary woodland, rough land and meadow. Lying to the east of Queens Wood and bounded by Park Road, Cranley Gardens, Wood Vale and Shepherds Hill, these provide a wide range of trees, plant life and varied habitat for birds and other wildlife and create a welcome semi-rural environment unusual in city settings. Regular work days are organised by CREOS who also hold picnics and a Christmas Party for their members. If you would like to take part and join CREOS please email:

Friends of Queen’s Wood (FQW)

FQW is a voluntary group which was set up to help look after Queen’s Wood, the closer of our two local woods bordered by Muswell Hill Road, Onslow Gardens, Connaught Gardens, Wood Vale and Priory Gardens.  Queen’s Wood is an area of ancient woodland dating from 1600 and possibly much earlier.  FQW is concerned with the maintenance and conservation of the wood and new members are welcome.  For more information you can visit their website at or contact Lucy Roots at  

Shepherd’s Hill Allotments

Shepherd’s Hill Allotments occupy a site running along the northern slope of Shepherd’s Hill from Montenotte Road to Priory Gardens.  Allotments are managed by the local authority who have a statutory duty (Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908) to provide them, though this duty is one of the many under Government review.

The soil which is part of the Shepherd’s Hill glacial moraine is heavy and full of clay but that has not stopped many committed gardeners over the years creating fertile, productive plots in an oasis of green space bounded by beautiful trees. Unfortunately if you want to join this happy band you will face a waiting list rumoured to be ten years long. But even ten years can pass and sometimes those on the waiting list lose interest so it may be worth registering your interest with the site secretary.

Alternatively you can play your part by helping your more fortunate neighbours who already have plots to off load their annual glut of courgettes.